The Council of Wilkinsburg is a body of nine elected officials. There are three officials from each of Wilkinsburg’s three wards. Council members elect a President among themselves. The Council President is responsible for presiding over Council meetings, establishing committees, and appointing committee chairs. There is also a Vice-President, who presides over Council meetings in the absence of the President.
The role of Council is to serve as civilian oversight of all activities of the Borough, including the management of Borough employees. Council is responsible for making policy, passing ordinances, voting appropriations, approving all personnel decisions, and establishing and maintaining the Borough’s budget. The Council also works with Pennsylvania and Allegheny County officials to find ways to stimulate economic development.
Council members serve four-year terms, with no limitation on the number of terms served. Elections occur every other year on odd-numbered years. Each election year, four or five seats on Council are open to voting. The rotation of seats ensures that there are always experienced representatives serving on Council.
Council meets the first, second and third Wednesdays of most months, with the exception of several months due to holidays. The first and third Wednesdays are planning sessions and the second Wednesday is the legislatve session. Council has only one meeting in August to allow for summer vacation schedules.
- WILKINSBURG TRICK OR TREAT 2014
- Trick or Treat in the Borough of Wilkinsburg is between the hours of 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. on Friday October 31...
- Posted: 10/23/2014
- MORE >
- September, 2014 Council Mtg. Minutes
- September, 2014 Council Meeting Minutes are now available on-line for reading.
- Posted: 10/13/2014
- MORE >
- Planning Commission Mtg.: 6:30 p.m. @ Council Chambers
- Council Work Session: 6:30 P.M. @ 2nd Fl. Council Chambers
- BUDGET WORK SESSION: 6:30 p.m. @ Council Chambers 605 Ross Ave.
Sept. 3, 2014 Council Mtg. Minutes
Sept. 10, 2014 Council Mtg. Minutes
October 8, 2014 Council Mtg. Agenda
Police Officer Application Packet
2014 Recycle Calendar
APPLICATION PERMIT FOR STREET CLOSURE