Community Art and Civic Design Commission
The Community Art and Civic Design Commission is a legislative body responsible for design review and approval of new and renovated structures, landscapes, works of art, and monuments on all public property and on all private property designated for commercial use.
The Commission is charged with soliciting feedback from the residents and business owners of Wilkinsburg regarding issues of design and aesthetics of public and private property under its purview. This feedback is considered by the members of the Commission during deliberations on project proposals.A handbook with design guidelines can be downloaded here.
The members of the Commission, appointed by Borough Council, consists of the following:
- One architect
- One landscape architect
- Two professional visual artists
- One representative appointed by the Wilkinsburg Community Development Corporation from their board or membership
- One representative from the Chamber of Commerce from their board or membership
- One representative from the Wilkinsburg Historical Society from their board or membership
- One curator, arts administrator or urban planner
- Three residents of Wilkinsburg, one representing each ward, who have an affiliation in the arts or design
- The Director of Code Enforcement, who serves in an ex-officio capacity
- The Borough Manager, who serves in an ex-officio capacity