The Code Enforcement Department’s goal is to create and maintain a safe and clean living and working environment through voluntary compliance with Borough codes.
The four Code Enforcement Officers inspect properties to ensure conformity with the Borough’s housing, zoning, graphics, health, sanitation, and safety regulations.
Code Enforcement staff also handle tenant registration, occupancy permits, and matters related to zoning. More recently, the Department is addressing blight in the Borough through targeted code enforcement, and through remedies provided under the Neighborhood Blight Revitalization and Reclamation Act, also known as Act 90.
James Barca is the Director of the Code Enforcement Department, and Brenda Joyce-May is the Administrative Assistant. Contact the Department at 412/244.2923.
Residents, Contractors, Design professionals and Property Owners. Please be advised that significant changes have occurred to Act 45 of 1999 known as the Pennsylvania Construction Code Act. Please see the bulletin below for further information. Changes will be made to the applications for all UCC related permitting. Proof of a contract date for either a design professional or contractor will be required upon application to determine which code series will be used for enforcement and building planning process. A copy of an executed contract will serve as the required documentation. Please contact Code Enforcement if any questions arise.
See “Codes and Standards Enforced Under the UCC” below for information about which version of the triennial codes applies to your construction project.
Changes to Codes and Standards Enforced Under the UCC
As noted above, the codes applicable to work for which a construction permit is sought on or after October 1, 2018, are the 2015 International Codes issued by the International Code Council (ICC), and the provisions amended by the UCC Review & Advisory Council (RAC). Only these codes as first published and their errata are applicable in Pennsylvania. For further information about the codes and standards adopted, click on the hyperlink UCC Codes.
Please note the following exceptions to the statement made above about the applicability of the 2015 ICC Codes:
If a design or construction contract for the proposed work was signed prior to October 1, 2018, the 2009 International Codes and Chapter 11 and Appendix E of the 2015 International Building Code and the accessibility provisions of the 2015 International Existing Building Code are applicable and shall be complied with.
Property Transfer or Refinance
In selling or refinancing a property three requirements should be met:
- Submit Property transfer or refinance application with appropriate fees
- All dye tests being performed in the Commercial Business district will be required to have a code enforcement officer present during the test. Submit Dye Test application signed by a master plumber certified with Allegheny County Health department.
- Submit either an Occupancy Permit Application (when property is occupied upon closing) or a notarized letter from buyer acknowledging assumption of responsibility for outstanding code violations and the need to apply for all necessary permits prior to occupying (when property is vacant upon closing.
- An occupancy permit is required when a buyer wants to immediately occupy a dwelling upon closing;
- An occupancy permit(s) is(are) required for the sale of rental property that is occupied and current tenants will remains;
- A notarized letter is required for vacant properties that will not pass an occupancy inspection and will not be occupied until they can pass an occupancy inspection. (Click here for generic letter)
Lien letters will not be released until there is verification that the dye test is signed by a Certified Master Plumber and either an Occupancy Permit is issued or a notarized letter from the buyer has been received in Code Enforcement.
Online Permit Payment:
Be advised, if paying online, you will be charged an additional fee of 2.75 % with a minimum $3.00 charge.
Occupancy Permit Application (Blank