The Code Enforcement Department’s goal is to create and maintain a safe and clean living and working environment through voluntary compliance with Borough codes.
The four Code Enforcement Officers inspect properties to ensure conformity with the Borough’s housing, zoning, graphics, health, sanitation, and safety regulations.
Code Enforcement staff also handle tenant registration, occupancy permits, and matters related to zoning. More recently, the Department is addressing blight in the Borough through targeted code enforcement, and through remedies provided under the Neighborhood Blight Revitalization and Reclamation Act, also known as Act 90.
Eric Parrish is the Director of the Code Enforcement Department, and Brenda Joyce-May is the Adminstrative Assistant. Contact the Department at 412/244.2923.
Property Transfer or Refinance
In selling or refinancing a property three requirements should be met:
- Submit Property transfer or refinance application with appropriate fees
- Submit Dye Test application signed by a master plumber certified with Allegheny County Health department.
- Submit either an Occupancy Permit Application (when property is occupied upon closing) or a Notarized letter from buyer acknowledging assumption of responsibility for outstanding code violations and the need to apply for all necessary permits prior to occupying ( when property is vacant upon closing.
- An occupancy permit is required when a buyer wants to immediately occupy a dwelling upon closing;
- An occupancy permit(s) is(are) required for the sale of rental property that is occupied and current tenants will remains;
- A notarized letter is required for vacant properties that will not pass an occupancy inspection and will not be occupied until they can pass an occupancy inspection.
Lien letters will not be released until there is verification that the dye test is signed by a Certified Master Plumber and either an Occupancy Permit is issued or a notarized letter from the buyer has been received in Code Enforcement.
Online Permit Payment:
Be advised, if paying online, you will be charged an additional fee of 2.75 % with a minimum $3.00 charge.