Curbside Recycling Program
Recyclables are picked up in the Borough every other week on the resident’s regular garbage day. Remember to always place your recyclables away from regular garbage on collection day.
Note that the Borough has gone to single stream recycling – all recyclables can be co-mingled:
- Aluminum and steel cans
- Glass bottles, jars, and jugs (remove caps and put in regular trash)
- Plastics with any number from 1-5 (check for the symbol on the container)
- Newspapers (bundled and tied), magazines, catalogs, phone books
- Paperboard, such as cereal boxes
- Junk mail, office paper, mixed paper (including pamphlets, brochures, booklets)
- Corrugated cardboard (broken down and flattened)
- Pizza boxes (empty and clean, free of food debris and wax paper)
DO NOT INCLUDE styrofoam, light bulbs, window glass and plastic bags – these items contaminate the recyclables! The recycling truck will not pick up electronic items or appliances.
Once the recyclables are collected, they are separated at a single-stream recycling plant using modern technologies. We hope combined collection will make recycling easier and more convenient for you, as well as increase our total recycling as a Borough. The more we recycle, the more significantly we can reduce our landfill disposal cost.
Feel free to view the Wilkinsburg Recycling Code here.
To obtain curbside recycling bins or for more information, please contact the Department of Public Works at 412-244-2934.