The Borough of Wilkinsburg partners with The City of Pittsburgh for trash collection for the residents of Wilkinsburg. Below you’ll find the “What, Where, and When” of trash collection as provided by The City of Pittsburgh.
Trash is picked up weekly. Trash should be placed curbside no earlier than 6 P.M. on the night before collection and no later than 6 A.M. on the day of collection.
Place all refuse at the designated site on collection day in plastic bags or bagged and placed into a container not exceeding 35 gallons in size.
If you need to find out the day of collection for your block/street, please call 412-244-2959 or 412-244-2900.
In addition to household refuse, crews will accept chairs, bikes, small appliances, garden tools, end tables, ironing boards, roasters and grills.
Bulk items include large items such as furniture, washers, dryers, stoves and discards from small renovation projects. These may include sofas, recliner chairs, tables, box springs, mattresses, dressers, toilets, hot water tanks and windows.
Crews will accept a maximum of 2 bulk items placed at the curb per week.
Any excess material will NOT be collected unless special pickup arrangements are made in advance. A minimum cost of $100 for the first half-hour applies to special pickups. Call 412-255-2773 for assistance with special pickups.
Prepare Special Items Well
- Wrap sharp objects (glass/metal) in heavy paper & place in a box sealed with tape or string.
- Place needles, syringes and lancets in a hard plastic container with a tight-fitting plastic lid, labeled as medical waste.
- Place animal feces/litter in double plastic bag and place outside the refuse container.
- Carpeting and fencing must be tied in bundles not exceeding 35 pounds or 5 feet in length.
Items Not Accepted
City crews will NOT collect:
- TV’s, Monitors, and Computers
- Freon Appliances (refrigerators, deep freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers)
- Carpeting after professional installation
- Construction / Building Materials
- Explosive / Flammable Materials
- Medical, Hazardous, or Infectious Materials
- Automobile Parts
- Bricks, Cement, Glass Blocks, or Marble/Stone Countertops
The Borough holds regular Recycling Events for Electronic Waste; bring these items then for safe disposal.